Alphasights expert network
Alphasights is one of the larger expert networks. It was founded in 2008 and became one of the first firms to successfully reduce GLG’s market dominance. The founders had a background in consulting with McKinsey and BCG.
When Alphasights started out, GLG was dependent on its traditional static network. Experts were recruited proactively, on fairs and from telephone directories. Onboarding an expert was time-consuming and complex. Alphasights, lacking a database of experts, began recruiting experts directly for live projects. To enable this, they sped up the onboarding of experts, with modern tech tools and user-friendly interfaces. This business model’s success was supported by the even faster growth of LinkedIn. Today, the company combines a large database with custom recruiting.
Associates manage both research (expert recruitment), client account management and sales for their accounts. This differs from GLG and Third Bridge, who have separated the research role and customer-facing sales roles. As a result, Alphasights has kept a higher productivity/ yield per employee than most peers and managed to retain key employees.
Alphasights was featured in our expert network benchmarking from June-July 2018, receiving one of the highest rankings. The company is sometimes confused with its India-based competitor Insight Alpha, which was founded in the same year.
Alphasights historic milestones
- 2008 – Founded in London, backed by an investment from Acton Capital.
- 2011 – New York office opened
- 2012 – Hong Kong office opened
- 2013 – Dubai office opened
- 2015 – San Francisco office opened
- 2016 – Hamburg, Shanghai and Seoul offices opened
- 2017 – Tokyo office opened
- 2019 – Inex One identified AlphaSights as a global leader in our review of the 2019 expert network market size.